Tuesday, July 26, 2011

La Rambla

Yesterday I went exploring a little more with Lucia, we went to and walked down La Rambla, the street that runs along the ocean essentially. There are always a lot of people out and about running, walking dogs, sitting, and chatting. I enjoyed getting out in the "fresh" air a little bit and seeing more of the city. We walked down there since it was only about 9 blocks away and let me tell you that pants were a mistake. Since I have gotten here the temperature hasn't been above 60 degrees, when we got down by La Rambla I saw a sign that said it was 23 grados = about 76 degrees and here I was in pants and long sleeves. Luckily there was a nice breeze coming off the water, but I'll be sure to pay more attention to the weather before I make that journey again.

My walk down to the beach helped me think a little more about what has made the adjustment harder than I expected and so far this is what I have noticed. I have never lived in a city bigger than Eau Claire which I would say has roughly 50,000 people, however, I live right in with all the college kids and it is what most would consider a college town. I am now living in a city of 1.5 million and I have been afraid to go anywhere alone (I have left the house once by myself so far) and as of right now I haven't met people outside of my host family because school hasn't started. Aside from not constantly being on the go, when I do go places the sounds, sights,  smells of the city are somewhat overwhelming.
When I was standing looking out over the water, a pretty sight no doubt, I couldn't help but feel yanked back into city life with the constant honking of horns and revving of car engines. I haven't found a place of tranquility, everything is so fast paced and when I am outside I smell burning gas and car engines.

This is a little bit of a rant but I hope it gives anyone reading a sense of all the different things I am trying to take in and adjust to, not just the language barrier. I don't mean for it all to sound bad at all, its all new and exciting! I am very happy that I came, this is a wonderful new experience that will test my limits and help me grow as a person. I have not yet been here for a week, which means I just need to give it time.

Un besito

No comments:

Post a Comment