Monday, August 1, 2011

Waffles y jugo de naranja!

I guess it has been a few days since I updated everyone? Well. Let's recap :) First of all just let me say that its cold here, very cold. I  know I am from Wisconsin and I should be used to it BUT I'm not. It has been some where around 7-10 grados (about 45-50 degrees) making leaving the house and wandering the streets somewhat of a daunting task as I severely dislike being cold.
Anyway, this Friday night we had a girls movie night. Me and my two host sisters rented two movies, ate some chocolate, and just hung out for the night. We rented Charlie St. Cloud and Comer, Rezar, Amar (Eat, Pray, Love) and watched them at the house. Even more important though is the fact that I watched TWO movies in a row that lasted until 1am and I stayed awake! Quite an accomplishment if I do say so myself.
The view of Montevideo right outside the restaurant
On Saturday I went to lunch with most of the family at this nice restaurant that over looked the water. It was extremely windy on Saturday so there were a lot of waves crashing on the shore. I tried a mojito for the first time and it was pretty good. Something that is kind of popular here too is gnocchi which is what I had for lunch. It was decent but I think I prefer other kinds of pasta. Saturday night after dinner I ended up meeting up with two other exchange students and we went out to a club in Pocitos, which is the name of one of the neighborhoods. Pocitos is where most of the students go out because it has a lot of bars and nightclubs. We went to a club called Asia de Cuba which ended up being a discotech. There were fog machines, strobe lights, lazers, and a lot of techno music. Not my favorite kind of music but I liked the atmosphere, it was a very clean club. I am also learning that night life here is, well... a little different. Bar close is around 6-7am. I was told that it is common for people my age to nap around 10pm, go out for dinner maybe around 11pm-12am and then to the bars around 2am to return home between 7am-8am. We shall see about that though.. I don't know if I am cut out for that kind of work :D
Sunday was a good day of relaxing, I "slept in" until 11am, but I didn't go to sleep until about 4:30am. I went over what my class options were and did some reading. Then early evening Lucia and I made waffles (actually pronounced wah-flays for you English speakers out there) and jugo de naranja or orange juice. It was a lot of fun, even though it took about 1 1/2 hours to make them all one by one. Oh, also we didn't have a waffle maker so even though they look like pancakes.. they're actually waffles. Don't let the pictures fool you :) and as you can tell from one of the pictures after 14 pancakes I became a pro at flipping them without a spatula. No big deal.
Today, Monday, was my first day of class. I only had one, Spanish, which is just with all of the exchange students so it wasn't anything too new. Tomorrow I have my first regular class with all of the students from Uruguay, I am sure that one will be a little more exciting. I also went to the gym today, I think I am going to get a membership there. They have a lot of interesting classes from 7am-10pm so I will have plenty of opportunity to go. Anyway, I think that is all for now.



Un Beso

No comments:

Post a Comment